Triggering Town

“I find words beautiful that ring with psychic truth and sound meant. If such a choice were possible, I would far rather mean what I say that say what I mean. To use language well requires self-sacrifice, even giving up pet ideas.”

I definitely agree with this idea. Several times, when trying to write a poem, I might come up with a phrase I like or have a good idea, but later, I will realize that either the phrase really just doesn’t fit, or that the idea isn’t actually what i need to be saying. I think it’s important, as students of poetic compostion, to remember that, as Hugo says, sometimes sacrafices are necessary and also, that it is important to remember that an important part of poetry is the basic aesthetics of the language. We must remember this even when it necessitates abandoning ideas that very much appealed to us.

One Response to “Triggering Town”

1. lizgerber says:

Hugo is so quotable! If he didn’t mean the things he said, we’d have a hard time wading through his book to find things to hold on to.

As writers in a classroom setting, we’re at least given a few seconds to clarify or explain our ideas, but more importantly, we’re given time to seek assistance from our peers and teacher. It helps us to hear others flush out our mediocre pet ideas (because they’re usually the first thing to go when I revise), and hopefully this trains us to examine the way we’ll start our next poem.